United Way of Central New York is seeking a Housing Resource Coordinator to build capacity and coordinate landlords, tenants, and community agencies as a means to prevent evictions and improve access to quality housing on behalf of the Housing and Homeless Coalition of Central New York (HHC). HHC is a coalition of agencies and stakeholders which acts as the U.S. Dept. of Housing and Urban Development’s (HUD) Continuum of Care (CoC) for Onondaga, Cayuga, and Oswego Counties, dedicated to reducing, preventing, and ultimately ending homelessness in all forms.
Full-Time, Salaried, Exempt
- Provide support to housing relocators and community agencies on understanding leases, eviction and foreclosure prevention, home maintenance, credit/budget counseling, and overall tenant rights. Develop outreach and training materials and techniques for tenants and landlords.
- Manage regional housing database (nyhousingsearch.gov). Educate landlords regarding appropriate listings prior to entering their properties in the database to ensure for safe and quality housing.
- Coordinate and build capacity of agencies that assist tenants in an effort to prevent evictions. Provide guidance on negotiations between tenants and landlords and landlord/tenant court.
- Identify and analyze the structural, institutional, and cultural barriers to acquiring and maintaining quality housing and that lead to eviction and homelessness. Identify/develop resources to address these barriers.
- Work with property owners and community stakeholders to create new and diverse housing options and develop tools and strategies to increase the availability of quality, affordable housing for low- to moderate-income individuals and families in Central New York.
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE POSITION
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in relevant field and three or more years of experience in human services and/or real estate background.
- Experience and demonstrated skills in organization and management of multiple projects simultaneously with the ability to set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Experience and ability to coordinate meetings, conduct training, and work with coalitions.
- Proven ability to work with individuals from all levels and backgrounds; recognizes and values diversity; process information with consideration for cultural sensitivities.
- Proficient with MS Windows Office Suite; must have the ability to learn new and/or customized software. Experience with online HUD data systems is preferred.
- Ability to work with flexibility and independence, and complete assignments with minimum supervision.
- Excellent verbal interpersonal skills for constant telephone and in-person communication. Strong oral and written English language skills for effective communication using excellent spelling, grammar, and writing skills. Must be able to carefully proof own work.
- Must possess a valid New York State Driver’s License and have access to a motor vehicle to meet transportation requirements within three counties not served by public transportation, in addition to being willing to travel for various training/conferences/workshops.
- Ability to work overtime if necessary.
This job description is not an exclusive statement of the responsibilities of the position. Other appropriate duties may be required.
To apply, please send résumé with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.